Monday, October 27, 2008

The Drought is Over

So the drought is over, I am back to blog again.

Topic: Parking Tickets

I think that I hate parking tickets more than anything in the world.  I am like a parking ticket magnet whenever I am broke.  I never get them when I have money, but when I have two paperclips and some string in my checking account, I manage to get a parking ticket for $32.  I realize that isn't a lot of money, but it is the emotional stress of getting a parking ticket that makes it so terrible....

It was a nice day.  It was the end of the summer, I was working for Oxy's Orientation Team (I had a group of 10 incoming students that I worked with all week) and I decided to be an extra nice guy and bring my group to 21 choices in Pasadena.  When we get there, I see a spot on Colorado and I decide to park in it.  I get out to feed the meter, but it turns out that the meter is broken and it says to pay at the next meter.  On my way to the next meter, we decide to just grab some yogurt and peace.  I spent a total of 22 minutes parked in a spot that had a broken meter.  Upon returning to my car, I see that I have a fucking parking ticket.  The parking ticket is for $32, and it claims that I parked outside of a marked spot.  I was in a marked spot, but there is absolutely no way to argue it.  I would have to make a court date, and then spend ten minutes arguing with a judge trying to convince them that I had parked somehow other than what the ticket described.  He/She would never believe me, and I would have wasted a day, time, and energy trying to get a $32 citation revoked.  A few weeks pass, of course I forget to pay the ticket and I lose it.  My mom gets a copy of the ticket in the mail and calls/emails multiple times to yell at me about how good she is at not getting parking tickets and about how irresponsible I am.  I want to punch the wall everytime she does this, arguing with her is like arguing with the judge.  Either way, she sends me an electronic copy of the ticket so I can have the info to pay it.  I finally decide to go online to pay it, and when I get to the website, they say they are unable to process online payments at this time.  Really? Fuck you online payment system, just let me pay my $32 ticket that has become a $58 ticket so I can move on with my life, but no.  Then I call in to the Pasadena City Parking Ticket Department, and the line is busy for ten minutes.  I am not gonna pay this ticket anymore. I fucking hate it soooo much. I hate parking tickets. The last one I got was when I parked in a street sweeping zone outside of a school that I was working at after the street sweeper had already passed.  That one was $60, more than I made that day working way too hard and not getting paid enough for teaching underprivileged students. Fuck that.

No comments: