Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Slovenia

So I am embarrassed to admit that I knew nothing of Slovenia before I looked up a wiki article on Sasha Vujacic. I always thought he was some kind of Eastern European, but wasn't sure which country he was from and was flabbergasted to hear that there was a place with only 2 million people that produced 2 NBA stars (Sasha & Goran Dragic) and a national soccer team in the US' world cup bracket. While watching sasha & goran engage in slavic cold war hostile tactics on the court, I fell in love with the small country. So much character and passion, so much love and hard work, so much slavic euroness. Amazing; and I was inspired to pay close attention to the Slovenia - USA world cup match a month or so later.

The morning of the game, I got up extra early and made a delicious pot of coffee. My sister, her bf and myself sat down to enjoy some breakfast when the match kicked off. It was a great time, first and foremost, the slovenian jerseys looked like charlie brown shirts, they were all wearing shoelace headbands, and they showed the same kind of passion for soccer that the aforemetioned NBA stars showed in the western conference finals. Molly and I also enjoyed making up words for their national anthem, and no offense to any Slovenians readings this, but we imagined them saying things like "Slovenia, slovenia, greatest slavic country in all of eastern europe, number one best producer per capita of futbol soccer stars, all men above age 7 required to wear headband shoelace if hair length exceed 10 cenimetres! Slovenia, slovenia, we show our allegiance to mother homeland country with greatest love and most highest respect honors." etc. etc. etc. What a fun time. But the best part was when the Slovenians scored and did their "screw the lights in" celebration dance. A dance which I stole, and now use whenever anything positive happens in my life, like the time I wone $188.82 after putting $10 in the slot machine in Vegas.

2 comments:

toussaint said...

I think that is the actual national anthem....

Unknown said...

i am very excite that you won the money in vegas. i am also very excite because i rolled up my pennies and nickels and quarters today to a total of $48 US. drinks!