Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wale is the new Weezy

So I was recently introduced to the D.C. native Wale. D.C., for those of you who may not know, has some of the worst hip hop I have ever heard.

Take for instance, Tabi Bonney:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqiKdUke69Q

That being said, Wale is the shit. He brings the lyrical fluidity and creativity of Lil Wayne, the swagger of Kanye West, content that is comparable to Lupe and Nas, and a style that is all his own. He dropped a mixtape entitle "A Mixtape About Nothing".  It follows the layout of Seinfeld, including an "Opening Title Sequence" and "The End Credits". He uses audio clips from the show, there is a Cameo by the Elaine character, and he uses an audio sample of Kramer's infamous comedy club incident involving "Afro Americans".  He plays well off of all of the samples, and he has some insanely tight verses:

I'm, the best, even when I'm cynical.
Angle these beats like a pentagon whenever my pen is on, aint nothin here minimal.
Countin my bread, my account like a brunch at a synagogue.
Get it yall? Thats a whole lot of bagels. See me out in the bay at San Quin in a beige coup.
A very bad man, you can ask Babu.
I get Seinfeld, with these rhyme skills i'm Larry David.
Give me my paper, this a cosmo like Jerry Seinfeld's neighbor.
My Costanzas stand like Phantoms and Maybachs, you won't get a lane if you can't whack.
I hate rap like Kramer hate blacks, still those no label that Wale aint passed.
And now i'm in the lead though, and everybody gassed...

Yeah, that shit is kinda tight. His album has songs that talk about nothing, songs that talk about race, songs that talk about women, songs that talk about DC, everything.  If you have talked to me in the past 9 months, you know I think there is no one out there better than lil wayne, however, I may have to crown a new king of lyrics. Anyways, keep reading the blog. Holla.




1 comment:

toussaint said...

quit making me cut and paste from your ghetto blog and embed your links... Bro Ham